DRAFT TRADE:?Traded to the Atlanta Hawks
De’Andre Hunter is a long, competitive forward with significant potential as a floor spacer and multi-positional defender coming off a stellar 27-point performance in Virginia’s National Championship Game victory.? A consensus top-100 player in the high school class of 2016 out of Friends’ Central School, Hunter redshirted his freshman year before making an instant impact averaging 9.2 points and 3.5 to earn ACC Sixth Man of the Year honors in his second year under Tony Bennett.? He emerged as one of the Cavaliers’ most important players late that season before breaking his wrist in the ACC Tournament.? This season, Hunter showed significant improvement averaging 15.2 points, 5.1 rebounds, and 2 assists per game providing versatility on both ends within Virginia’s system earning All-American nods from multiple outlets before keying the Cavalier’s National Championship victory.
- Has good size for a modern forward listed at 6’8 with a strong 225-pound frame to go along with a 7’2 wingspan and good all-around athleticism.?
- Played a unique role within Tony Bennett’s methodical offense spending time setting screens and running off them while also given the green light to exploit mismatches one-on-one.? Scored with almost comprehensive efficiency in a complementary role making shots at a strong rate from the perimeter, scoring opportunistically moving without the ball, and even proved effective creating for himself from the mid-post.
- Promising, committed defender who holds up well guarding multiple positions at the point of attack.? Goes straight up inside with good discipline, often guarded the opposing team’s best scorer one-through-four last season, and embraced the nuances of one of college basketball best defenses.? Length, strength, and agility afford him significant versatilty projecting ahead.
- Guarded and rotated with discipline deep into the shot clock and took few risks trying to make plays.?
- 2018-19 NABC National Defensive Player of the Year.
- Top-four finalist for 2018-19 Naismith Defensive Player of the Year Award.
- All-America Second Team selection by the NABC; Third Team by the AP and USBWA.
- Helped Virginia (35-3) win its first national championship and set a school record with 35 wins in 2018-19.
- 2017-18 ACC Sixth Man of the Year and All-Freshman Team selection.?
- Averaged 15.2 points and 5.1 rebounds while shooting 52.0 percent from the field (4th in ACC), 43.8 percent from three point range and 78.3 percent from the free throw line.
- Named All-ACC First Team, Defensive Player of the Year and NCAA Final Four All-Tournament Team.
- Recorded 10 20-point games, including a career-high 27 points against Texas Tech in the NCAA championship game.
- Helped limit Texas Tech star Jarrett Culver to 5-of-22 shooting from the field.?
- Outstanding physical profile for a modern forward.
- Extremely long with good feet.
- Versatile and aggressive defender.
- Continues to improve as a face-up shooter.?
- Redshirted his Freshman year at UVA in 2016-17.
- Enjoys video games and dancing.
- Has volunteered for the John Heinz National Wildlife Refuge.?